1. That marine derived Omega-3 Fatty Acids have their origins in Algae or plankton? That's right, marine animals such as fish and krill consume other marine based plant or animal species who get their high Omega-3 content from the algae and plankton in the ocean.
2. That 95% of the North American population is deficient in Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids. Regrettably, the average North American Citizen has an Omega-3-Index of 3.6; well below the minimum recommended O3i of 8.
3. That through a process known as neurogenesis, the human brain possesses the ability to grow new nerve cells, or neurons, throughout our entire lifespan.
4. That the human brain is approximately 60% fat? Of this fat, DHA is quantitatively the most important Omega-3 fatty acid in the brain. In fact, Brain DHA levels are typically 250 to 300 times greater than EPA.
5. That 95% of all brain-related issues are epi-genetic... meaning "outside the gene"? This means that only 5% of all brain related issues are hereditary. The rest are due to other factors such as trauma, poor diet, a sedentary lifestyle, sleep deprivation, environmental toxins, drug and alcohol abuse, and many more.
6. That the Omega-3-Index is a more powerful predictor of mortality than cholesterol is? In fact, for every point increase in your Omega-3-Index, you get an 8% reduction in the incidence of all-cause mortality. *
Adherence to a healthy diet is imperative to improving cognitive performance and reducing the risk of cognitive decline. The vital nutrients and essential fatty acids that have been clinically-proven to influence brain health are difficult to consume through a balanced, whole-food diet alone – that is why we created Brain Armor.
Trident Brands has committed to fund a research trial examining the effect of Omega 3s (DHA -Docosahexaenoic acid) on head trauma in elite Women's & Men's Canadian rugby athletes during the current 2017-2018 season that includes the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, Commonwealth Games, Sevens World Cup, and Men's Rugby World Cup qualifier. Brain Armor Inc. (a subsidiary of Trident Brands Inc.) is providing funding through its Brain Armor Foundation. The principal study investigators are Ashley Armstrong, MS, RD, CSSD and Jonathan M. Oliver, PhD.
Ms. Armstrong is a Sport Dietitian with the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific. Dr. Oliver is Director of the Sports Concussion Research Group at Texas Christian University (TCU). "This is an exciting collaboration between the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific and TCU to expand their concussion research to an elite rugby population," said Ms. Armstrong, who has been a Sport Dietitian at the Canadian Sport Institute Pacific for four years. "We are very grateful to Brain Armor, who is supporting our research, as we believe that this study can truly benefit athletes in all sports at risk of head injuries. Their support of this DHA - focused, new dietary intervention will allow us to help athletes protect their greatest asset --their brain," said Ms. Armstrong.
"We are excited about the opportunity to work with the Canadian Sport Institute, a world-class athlete development program, and the partnership with Brain Armor, who has graciously agreed to support our research expanding into other contact sport athletes. This research expands on the previous work conducted by our group, in which we demonstrated a potential neuroprotective effect of omega 3s in attenuating elevations of a biomarker of head trauma in response to sub-concussive injuries in American football athletes. Reducing the effects of sub-concussive injuries may have long-term implications on improved brain health later in life, particularly in contact sports athletes, an area that has received considerable media attention in retired National Football League players," said Dr. Oliver, who is director of the Sport Science Center within the Health Innovations Institute at Texas Christian University. "This study is part of the Brain Armor Foundation's commitment to supporting and advancing education and clinical research in the field of cognitive health in athletes," states Dr. Julian E. Bailes, Co - Chair of the Brain Armor Foundation.
A collaboration with NorthShore means that Brain Armor can set a new standard for brain health research and the development of science-based products.